– HARDCOVER MYSTERIES Lineup Includes New York Times Best-selling Authors David Baldacci, Sandra Brown, Harlan Coben, Linda Fairstein, Sara Paretsky, Kathy Reichs, Lisa Scottoline and Joseph Wambaugh –
(Silver Spring, MD) Featuring some of America’s most popular writers of thrillers and whodunits, Investigation Discovery’s HARDCOVER MYSTERIES explores the crossover from fact to fiction. In this exciting new eight-part series, New York Times best-selling authors discuss the real-life cases that compelled their fascination and inspired their page-turners. Authors David Baldacci, Sandra Brown, Harlan Coben, Linda Fairstein, Sara Paretsky, Kathy Reichs, Lisa Scottoline and Joseph Wambaugh offer their unique perspectives on real-life mysteries, honed by their skills as master storytellers and keen observers of human nature. Across their careers as best-selling novelists, the authors featured in HARDCOVER MYSTERIES have combined to sell hundreds of millions of books worldwide. HARDCOVER MYSTERIES launches on Monday, October 11 at 9 PM ET on Investigation Discovery.
“HARDCOVER MYSTERIES features eight world-renowned novelists doing what they do best – using their gifts as exceptional storytellers. This new series will enable them to share with our viewers true stories of mysteries that have confounded investigators and captured the attention of communities large and small,” said Henry Schleiff, president and general manager of Investigation Discovery. “As America’s leading investigation network, ID prides itself on working with premier journalists, investigators and experts, and the collection of best-selling authors featured in HARDCOVER MYSTERIES reflects this unwavering commitment to quality.”
Each episode of HARDCOVER MYSTERIES pairs an author with an incredible real-life case close to their heart, whether it inspired one of their own creations, mirrors the themes presented in their bestsellers or resonates with their personal life story. For example, crime novelist David Baldacci examines the 1964 murder of Mary Meyer, a Washington D.C. socialite and confidante to President John F. Kennedy, which partially the basis for his first best-seller, “Absolute Power.” Sandra Brown offers insight about the murder of Nicholas West, a landmark hate crime in Texas that inspired the plot for one of her best-selling books, “The Witness.” Harlan Coben’s two New York Times #1 bestsellers, “Long Lost” and “Caught” both feature girls who disappear, a theme reflected in the true story of Brianna Denison’s abduction and the questions surrounding the main witness’s actions. Linda Fairstein, who once served as the head of the sex crimes unit for the New York County District Attorney’s office, gives viewers a behind-the-scenes look at the real-life story of Sante and Kenny Kimes, a bizarre mother and son crime team whose path of terror struck New York City at the turn of the 21st century. Sara Paretsky, who pens the acclaimed V.I. Warshawski series that transformed the role of women in crime novels, looks at the homicide of a faculty wife that made headlines near her childhood hometown of Lawrence, Kansas. Lisa Scottoline, whose thrillers are deeply rooted in the exploration of family relationships, probes the murder of 15-year-old Sarah Starling, who seemingly was entangled in a bizarre family triangle involving a plot with her mother to commit murder. And Joseph Wambaugh traces the investigation of Colin Pitchfork, which was the first homicide case solved using genetic fingerprinting, and was the subject of his bestseller “The Blooding.”
All of these authors expertly weave unique and intricate mysteries that slowly unfold throughout their novels; however, in HARDCOVER MYSTERIES they demonstrate that real-life stories can be as fascinating as their best-selling works of fiction. HARDCOVER MYSTERIES features:
• DAVID BALDACCI An internationally acclaimed author since his first, “Absolute Power,” debuted as a New York Times bestseller, David Baldacci has written a string of bestseller list debuts right up to his latest novel, “Deliver Us from Evil.” Baldacci’s novels, which have exceeded 100 million copies worldwide in print, cover themes as diverse and contemporary as coming of age in “Wish You Well,” the power of global markets in “Total Control,” the expertise of special ops teams in “Last Man Standing,” and the hidden treasures and perils of the nation’s clandestine intelligence services in “Simple Genius.” His writings have appeared in numerous major magazines and newspapers, and he is a contributing editor for Parade Magazine.
• SANDRA BROWN After nearly 30 years as an author, Sandra Brown has penned 58 New York Times bestsellers, including “Smash Cut,” “Smoke Screen,” “Play Dirty,” “Ricochet,” “Chill Factor,” “White Hot,” “Hello, Darkness,” “The Crush,” “Envy,” “The Switch,” “The Alibi,” “Unspeakable,” and “Fat Tuesday,” all of which have reached the number one to five spot on the New York Times’ list. Brown has reached readers worldwide; her work has been translated into 33 languages and over 80 million copies of her books have been distributed across the globe. For her contributions to the thriller genre, she was recognized by the International Thriller Writers as the 2008 Thriller Master.
• HARLAN COBEN Winner of the Edgar Award, Shamus Award and Anthony Award – the first author to win all three – international best-selling author Harlan Coben has seen his last three consecutive novels, “Caught,” “Long Lost,” and “Hold Tight” all debut at #1 on the New York Times bestseller list. Over half of Coben’s 17 thrillers immerse readers in the exploits of Myron Bolitar, Coben’s most beloved character, who as an entertainment and sports agent has become an unconventional investigator working on behalf of his eccentric clients.
• LINDA FAIRSTEIN As one of America’s foremost legal experts on crimes of violence against women and children, Linda Fairstein served in the office of the New York County District Attorney, where she was Chief of the Sex Crimes Prosecution Unit for over twenty-five years. This experience inspired her character, Manhattan prosecutor Alexandra Cooper, star of her crime novel series that includes “Final Jeopardy,” “Likely To Die,” “Cold Hit,” “The Deadhouse,” “The Bone Vault,” “The Kills,” “Entombed,” “Death Dance,” “Bad Blood,” “Killer Heat,” “Lethal Legacy,” and “Hell Gate.”
• SARA PARETSKY In 1982, Sara Paretsky first introduced detective V.I. Warshawski in “Indemnity Only” and revolutionized the mystery genre by creating a female investigator who used her wits, as well as her fists, in Paretsky’s hometown of Chicago. By challenging a genre in which women typically were either vamps or victims, Paretsky opened the door to a best-selling series of V.I. Warshawski novels including “Deadlock,” “Killing Orders,” “Bitter Medicine,” “Blood Shot,” “Burn Marks,” “Guardian Angel,” “Tunnel Vision,” “Ghost Country,” “Hard Time,” “Black List,” “Fire Sale,” “Hardball,” and “Body Work.”
• KATHY REICHS After her first novel, “Déjà Dead,” catapulted her to fame when it became a New York Times bestseller, Dr. Kathy Reichs launched a series of 12 novels based on the main character, Temperance Brennan. As a forensic anthropologist, Dr. Reichs brought her own dramatic work experience, including identifying human remains, to her mesmerizing series of forensic thrillers. This success has led to Dr. Reichs’ role as producer for Fox’s TV series “Bones,” which is based on her professional career and her series of captivating novels.
• LISA SCOTTOLINE After a career in law, Lisa Scottoline has become a New York Times best-selling author of 18 novels, including her most recent, “Look Again” and “Think Twice.” She has built a reputation for writing fast-paced action in page-turning novels with a splash of humor, all of which feature smart, sexy female protagonists who must rely on their own strength and wit to get out of trouble. Over 25 million copies of her books are in print and they are published in over 30 countries. Scottoline also writes a weekly column with her daughter, Francesca Serritella, for the Philadelphia Inquirer titled “Chick Wit,” a witty and fun take on life from a woman’s perspective. The columns have been collected in “Why My Third Husband Will Be a Dog” and the upcoming “My Nest Isn’t Empty, It Just Has More Closet Space.”
• JOSEPH WAMBAUGH After fourteen years as a police officer with the Los Angeles Police Department, Joseph Wambaugh has made a career as the grand master of the police story with fourteen novels and five nonfiction works. His honest portrayal of police officers is melded with an expert use of black comedy to deal with serious themes of crime, justice and the murky decisions made by the men and women upholding the law. From his first novel, “The New Centurions” to his latest series of fiction including “Hollywood Station,” “Hollywood Crows,” “Hollywood Moon,” and his upcoming November release and fifteenth career novel, “Hollywood Hills,” Wambaugh pens tales based on police officers’ real-life stories that jump off the page.
HARDCOVER MYSTERIES is produced for Investigation Discovery by Digital Ranch Productions Inc. with executive producers Rob Kirk and Rob Lihani, and co-executive producer David Cargill. For Investigation Discovery, Diana Sperrazza is executive producer, Sara Kozak is vice president of production and Henry Schleiff is president and general manager.
About Investigation Discovery
Investigation Discovery (ID), America’s leading investigation network, is the source for fact-based investigative content about culture, history and the human condition. Providing the highest quality investigative programming focused on fascinating stories of human nature from the past to the present, Investigation Discovery’s in-depth documentaries and series challenge viewers on important issues shaping our culture and defining our world. As the premier authority in real investigations, ID is expanding partnerships with established news organizations and production companies to bring the strongest analytic, factual investigative and current affairs programming to over 63 million U.S. households. For more information, please visit investigationdiscovery.com
Please visit the Press Website at http://press.discovery.com/us/id/programs/hardcovermysteries/ for additional press materials, screeners, and photography.